Sunday, May 07, 2006

Hey Baby, Que Paso ... (listening to Jose Rizo)

Check out this momento from the Loretta Sanchez chante ... de OC Blog ...

Former California Republican Assembly President Steve Frank publishes a newsletter - and I have taken the liberty of 'lifting' this from the latest issue:

MEMO TO POLITICAL CONSULTANTS, OPERATIVES AND LEADERS:

NEVER, EVER YELL INTO YOUR CELL PHONE IN PUBLIC ABOUT A CRISIS IN YOUR CAMPAIGN. NEVER, EVER SUGGEST YOUR CANDIDATE, ESPECIALLY A CONGRESSWOMAN,
IS NOT DOING HER JOB IN RAISING MONEY. SECOND NOTE: NEVER, EVER HAVE YOUR STAFF IN A BAR DISCUSSING , IN PUBLIC, HOW THE CRISIS SHOULD BE HANDLED--ESPECIALLY IF THEY OPENLY TALK ABOUT MISLEADING DONORS.

Catch your attention? Trust me, I am living an interesting life. On Thursday I had a luncheon appointment at Beckhams Grill in Pasadena. While waiting for the other people to show, I was pacing outside the restaurant (Those who know me, know I am the nervous type). While waiting I heard a lady yell into her cell phone that she wanted "the number for the Loretta Sanchez for Congress campaign in Santa Ana, California." Of course this perked my interest.

When she got on the phone she complained that "as of this morning no tickets were sold". "Did Loretta make her phone calls?" "She was supposed to make them from 1-5, but she is in the air, not making her calls." This went on for a long time, so I went inside the bar to sit and wait for my friends. A few moments later she came in and sat with two women that seemed to be her staff. She then explained the situation, and went outside to make more calls. Obviously this was a serious problem and she was trying to contain it.

At this point one of the ladies said, "I guess we have to cancel it." At that point the other person said, "No, we will say it is being re-scheduled, that sounds better." They continued to discuss the issue, so I went outside. The first lady was back on the phone and told someone, "This is Chrissie Unruh." She noted that "$28,000 is at stake" and for the third or fourth time asked, "Have we talked with the Longshoremen?"

(NOTE: Sanchez besides running for re-election to Congress has filed, as noted here months ago, a "Sanchez for Governor 2010 Committee". Guess she doesn't think Westly or Angelides can defeat Arnold.)

Unruh continued on the phone complaining about the situation, who was at fault, etc. Finally, she went back to the bar.

Then my friends showed up and I told them to follow me into the bar area first and just listen to the conversation, they agreed. (My friends are statewide GOP leaders well known in the Party)

I then went up to Chrissie Unruh (yes, of THAT heritage!) and her friends at the bar, and introduced myself as Steve Frank, publisher of the California Political News and Views and thanked her for making me feel like Walter Winchell today. I repeated her words about Congresswoman Sanchez and the event fiasco. She told me that I could not print this, because I overheard her private conversations. She was informed that she was in a public space, speaking loudly, others heard her as well. As for her friends in the bar, I heard them from about ten feet away in a public bar..so it wasn't that I tried to listen in, I could not help but hear their words. Of course, Chrissie never denied saying any of the things I quoted her as saying, nor did her staff people deny what I quoted them saying--all of this before two witnesses! All Chrissie demanded was that I not report it.

My friends and I went to our table, far from the bar. A moment after we were seated Chrissie came over to our table and demanded my card, which I gave her. She again said I could not write about her phone calls or the conversations. I told her if she wanted she could call Bob Mulholland and he would tell her who I was. Chrissie announced that Sanchez supported Westly, so she couldn't call Mulholland (he works for Angelides). Oh, I said, then you can call Garry South (he is the chief consultant for Westly) and he will tell you who I am.

Lesson for everybody, in the middle of a crisis DON'T make cell calls telling campaign secrets so the whole world can hear you. Those new to politics this story is meant for you. Even someone involved in politics as long as Chrissie Unruh can make a rookie mistake. Learn from her. Don't pull a Chrissie Unruh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home